SUPPORT THE WORK

GetWiki

Penguin Group

ARTICLE SUBJECTS
aesthetics  →
being  →
complexity  →
database  →
enterprise  →
ethics  →
fiction  →
history  →
internet  →
knowledge  →
language  →
licensing  →
linux  →
logic  →
method  →
news  →
perception  →
philosophy  →
policy  →
purpose  →
religion  →
science  →
sociology  →
software  →
truth  →
unix  →
wiki  →
ARTICLE TYPES
essay  →
feed  →
help  →
system  →
wiki  →
ARTICLE ORIGINS
critical  →
discussion  →
forked  →
imported  →
original  →
Penguin Group
[ temporary import ]
please note:
- the content below is remote from Wikipedia
- it has been imported raw for GetWiki
{{EngvarB|date=April 2018}}{{Use dmy dates|date=April 2018}}







factoids
Pound sterling>£1.05 billion (2010)| imprints = penguin.co.uk}}}}The Penguin Group is a trade book publisher and part of Penguin Random House. It is owned by Pearson PLC, the global education and publishing company, and Bertelsmann, the German media conglomerate. The new company was created by a merger that was finalised on 1 July 2013, with Bertelsmann owning 53% of the joint venture, and Pearson controlling the remaining 47%.Mark Sweney "Penguin and Random House merger to create biggest book publisher ever seen", The Guardian, 29 October 2012Penguin Books has its registered office in City of Westminster, London."26. What is Penguin Books Limited's company registration number? {{webarchive|url=https://web.archive.org/web/20090711051613weblink |date=11 July 2009 }}" Penguin Books. Retrieved 28 August 2009."Maps {{webarchive|url=https://web.archive.org/web/20110905100803weblink |date=5 September 2011 }}." City of Westminster. Retrieved 28 August 2009.Its British division is Penguin Books Ltd. Other separate divisions can be found in the United States, Ireland, New Zealand, India, Australia, Canada, China, Brazil and South Africa.

History

Penguin Books Ltd. (est. 1935) of the United Kingdom was bought over by Pearson Longman in 1970.Penguin Group (USA) Inc. was formed in 1996 as a result of the merger between Penguin Books USA and the Putnam Berkley Group.WEB,weblink Now for the Grann Finale, NYMag.com, 2018-05-23, The newly formed company was originally called Penguin Putnam Inc., but, in 2003, it changed its name to Penguin Group (USA) Inc. to reflect the parent Pearson PLC's grouping of all the Penguin companies worldwide under the supervisory umbrella of Pearson's own Penguin Group division.The different Penguin companies use many imprints, many of which used to be independent publishers.WEB,weblink Penguin Group (USA): About Us, Penguin Group (USA) Inc. also operates its own speaker's bureau that books speaking engagements for many of the publisher's authors. In 2011, the online writing and publishing community Book Country was launched as a subsidiary of Penguin Group USA.WEB,weblink What's the Penguin About?, Bookcountry.com, 27 February 2014, In April 2012, the United States Department of Justice filed United States v. Apple Inc., naming Apple, Penguin, and four other major publishers as defendants. The suit alleged that they conspired to fix prices for e-books and weaken Amazon.com's position in the market in violation of antitrust law.NEWS,weblink Justice Department sues Apple, publishers over e-book prices, The Washington Post, 11 April 2012, 1 June 2014, Mui, Ylan Q. and Hayley Tsukayama, In December 2013, a federal judge approved a settlement of the antitrust claims, in which Penguin and the other publishers paid into a fund that provided credits to customers who had overpaid for books due to the price-fixing.NEWS,weblink E-book price fixing settlements rolling out, USA Today, 25 March 2014, 1 June 2014, Molina, Brett, In October 2012, Pearson entered into talks with rival conglomerate Bertelsmann, over the possibility of combining their respective publishing companies, Penguin Group and Random House. The houses were considered two of the Big-Six publishing companies, prior to the merger,WEB, Edgecliffe, Andrew,weblink Penguin and Random House in deal talks, Financial Times, 26 October 2012, 27 February 2014, which became the Big-Five publishing houses upon completion of the combination. The European Union approved of the Penguin Random House merger on 5 April 2013; Pearson controls 47% of the publisher.

Imprints

Penguin Group imprints include the following:WEB,weblink Penguin: Publishers/Imprints, {{Columns-list|colwidth=30em| }}

See also

WEB,weblink Who Are 'The Big Six'?, Fiction Matters, 5 March 2010, 16 January 2014,

References

{{Reflist|30em}}

External links

  • {{official website}}
{{BIG6_PUBLISHERS_USA}}{{Penguin Random House}}

- content above as imported from Wikipedia
- "Penguin Group" does not exist on GetWiki (yet)
- time: 10:01pm EST - Sun, Nov 18 2018
[ this remote article is provided by Wikipedia ]
LATEST EDITS [ see all ]
GETWIKI 09 MAY 2016
GETWIKI 18 OCT 2015
M.R.M. Parrott
Biographies
GETWIKI 20 AUG 2014
GETWIKI 19 AUG 2014
GETWIKI 18 AUG 2014
Wikinfo
Culture
CONNECT